The Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation (JPIC) Commission has its roots in the Pastoral Constitution, Gaudium et Spes: “The Council…regards it as most opportune that an organism of the universal Church be set up in order that both the justice and love of Christ toward the poor might be developed everywhere.” (1965, n. 90) The Synod of bishops on Justice in the World also declared that “Action on behalf of justice and participation in the transformation of the world fully appear to us…as a constitutive dimension of the preaching of the Gospel.” (1971, n. 6)
In 1982, the Commission was jointly established by the USG-UISG, both as Unions and each according to its own charism, as individual member-generalates, to arrive at a greater awareness, clearer analysis and more effective action in matters of justice, peace and integrity of creation. Its preferential option is for the poor. It values collaboration and sharing, participation and communication, and it is committed to continual learning through observing, reflecting and acting.
In fulfilling its mission, the commission performs the following functions as they relate to matters concerning justice, peace and integrity of creation:
- Analyzing issues and challenges, and disseminating information to the USG/UISG and its members and the larger public;
- Providing resources and opportunities for initial and ongoing formation;
- Promoting dialogues and solidarity among religious congregations and others throughout the world in support of valid JPIC concerns;
- Facilitating mutual sharing assistance among the generalates;
- Serving as a channel for the voices for the poor and oppressed around the world, to the generalates and other organizations;
- Encouraging networking among religious institutes, non-governmental organizations and other entities.
- Supporting advocacy and corporate action by the USG/UISG and individual member institutions.
- 2 Co-Presidents each nominated by the USG and UISG respectively
- The General Secretaries of USG and UISG
- The 2 Co-Executive Secretaries of the JPIC Secretariat
- The Director of SEDOS
- A Representative of the Pontifical Council of Justice and Peace
- 4 Representatives from UISG
- 4 Representatives from USG
The JPIC Commission networks with organizations and associations that work for JPIC. In particular with the two groups of religious promoters of JPIC at the international level present in Rome, the Pontifical Council of Justice and Peace, the Service of Documentation and Study (SEDOS), Caritas Internationalis, Catholic Inspired NGO’s, Talitha Kum, South Sudan Project, Africa Europe Faith and Justice Network (AEFJN) Embassies and the United Nations.
Visit the website: www.jpicroma.org (English); www.jpicroma.org (Español)
- ALL TOGETHER FOR THE CARE OF OUR COMMON HOME